Thursday, January 3, 2013

Spaceballs (1987)

Directed by: Mel Brooks
Starring: Bill Pullman, John Candy, Rick Moranis

Overall Rating: 95.8

As someone who isn't a major fan of the Star Wars franchise, Spaceballs struck a nerve with me even when I was very young.  Where as at a young age I may have found the movie hilarious because one of the characters was named "Barf" (come on, I was 7), I can still watch the movie today and crack up knowing that a main character is named "Barf". 

Spaceballs excellently spoofs the 70's-era sci-fi movies (Star Wars, Alien, Planet of the Apes, etc) with a dialogue so well written by Brooks, and performed by the cast.  The absurdity of Rick Moranis as a Darth Vader-esque villain is just one of many gags that hold up after multiple viewings.

It's hard to compare Brooks' comedies as each stand on their own so much, but for my own personal taste the comedic value of "Spaceballs" stands above all of his other classics.


Individual Ratings
Enjoyment Factor: 10
Dialogue: 10
Acting: 8
Direction: 7
Audio/Visual: 8

No comments: